Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Week 4: The Diaper Debate

For this week I have been asked to review the following websites and comment on their demographics and/or psychographics. I found this quite easy because, despite the fact that these two sites represent very similar products, they are indeed completely different from each other.

http://www.econobum.com
http://www.justcheapdiapers.com

I think that in general you can put parents of infants into two separate consumer categories.  Those categories are broke parents and not broke parents.  However, there are many sub categories within these like trendy, organic, negligent, cheap, realistic, paranoid, etc.  I found these two products and websites very interesting because the do have that one BIG crossover demographic which is, "People who need to catch the tiny human's waste."  Still, they are very different in their marketing approach because one of them is catering to the broke or cheap crowd and the other is catering to the tree-hugging, organic hipster parents.  One site is flashy and busy like some place to buy bulk finger puppets, while the other site is family oriented and more about the makers of the product than the product itself.  One site is focusing on the environment and the other is focusing on saving you money.  These are two completely opposite messages going out to two completely different type of people, right?  But these people have one huge thing in common, BABIES!!!

This is a very fascinating comparison to think about and an excellent way to get me thinking about who I am reaching out to when I start my business.


No comments:

Post a Comment