Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Jen's Website Review

Here is a fun assignment!  Choose two of the following websites and identify at least three potential problems for visitors.  Then choose two websites and identify what they have done right.

  • http://tectorch.com
  • http://www.exmouth-view.co.uk/
  • http://spotmetering.com/
  • http://www.roverp6cars.com/
  • http://www.headhunterhairstyling.com/
  • http://www.riversideartcenter.org/
  • http://apple.com
  • http://www.ford.com/
  • http://www.toyota.com/

It did not take me long to choose the sites that I wanted to critic.  It just seems that every art center website I have ever visited has been an utter disaster!  I am not sure if it is a budget issue, or if that is just the style they go for.  My daughter has been a dance performer for about 7 years now and because the performances tend to be at art centers, I have visited a lot of these sites.  The www.riversideartcenter.org site is a prime example.  It is difficult to view because of poor coloring.  It is not pleasing to the eye at all and the layout is quite confusing.  The year is not included with dates and since they have not changed many things like photos since 2013, I am led to believe that the announcements could be from really any year!  Boo to this site.  Get your life together Riverside art people.

Next on my list was the www.spotmetering.com.  What on earth is that anyway?  Well, I can tell you what it is not.... CHEAP!  And how do I know that without there being any prices listed on the page?  Thanks to the very crude wording on this page (once I was able to read it and get passed the bright yellow font on the black background) I was very easily able to read between the lines.  Statements like, "When you buy an expensive GUITAR, you KNOW that playing skills DO NOT COME with it!" are pretty much a sure sign that you are about to spend a lot of money on something you don't know how to use.  I don't know about you guys, but I for one do not like being yelled at regarding my attitude about purchases I have not even made yet!  So then, where could I find the answer to my question, "What on earth is spotmetering"?  BELOW, yes I said BELOW all of the lectures about buying expensive things is where they explain what the product is that they are yelling at me about.  I just can't with this website.  

Oh how I love my Ford truck.  His name is Steve and he is a finely tuned machine that I am thankful for every day.  I bet you can guess what website I decided to praise first.  Of course it was FORD!  I did not just choose FORD because I believe them to be the best truck manufacturer out there or because Henry Ford opened the doors for countless others to build and create on their dreams and make our automobiles better and better every year.  I chose Ford because their website is an example of excellent marketing/sales and web design.  The page organization and structure is easy to view and user friendly.  The site caters to both the potential and existing customers with places to order accessories, give feedback, receive quotes, etc.  You can see what is coming out and what has been around.  The only thing I would change about this site is a big FORD Raptor hauling tail through the desert on the cover.  :-)  However, I suppose the point is to draw in new people and not the already hooked truck enthusiasts so, the scrollthrough of "a vehicle for every lifestyle" that starts with the Fusion was probably the smarter way to go.


Jen's Dream Truck - 


Here is another something that I love.  I know, I kind of cheated by choosing sites that I already have good things to say about.  Can you guess what else I am passionate about?  It is my iphone!!  So, I decided to take a trip to www.apple.com to take an objective view of their website.  I wonder how much money they had to pay to buy the name "apple.com" or did they corner that before everyone was buying up domain names?  Hmmmmm.... I am going to google that!  Ok, I am back (speedy one) So according to an article on Quora.com by Erik Fair, they did not pay anything for the apple.com domain name because it was registered prior to 1988 when he started working there.  However, you should really check this article out regarding what they paid for the iphone.com domain!  Wowza! Click on this link to check it out. AppleInsider.com  Back to the subject at hand.  Their site is of course, flawless.  I tried to find something wrong but I just could not.  They Highlight the latest products and information, the pages are all well organized and not too much information is thrown at you at once on any item, and there are no formatting errors.  The colors are easy on the eyes and the speed of the site is excellent as well.  Caching is our friend!

So there you have it folks!  My week 3 blog one assignment.  Let me know what you think!






5 comments:

  1. Architecture, color and of course functionality is something that people need to keep in mind when building a site. They just don't understand that these are the things that will make a someone surf your break or paddle down the beach to find another. The platform used is also a huge deal. Many ma and pa start ups choose something like Wix or Weebly and although they are fun to use and they do function but they have limitations. When the user builds on Wix's platform they are blown away by how easy it is to learn; forgetting to check it on their mobile devices as they are building their masterpiece. Then their out in public showing their friends, or worse a client and things are in the wrong place. Elements are smashed together or have drifted it is just a wreck. Not being able to write code if something needs to be drastically changed is a bad spot to be in. Wix and Weebly are great to use for small personal sites (and really fun) but they are limited. WordPress offers limitless possibility. It is rock solid on the mobile and you can use their software and not have them host your site. Writing code is not required but if needed is an option. And one more thing, If you get tired of the look on your site you can change your theme. The content or your site just magically winds up in the new theme. With Wix your going to have to rebuild your entire house. And people for the love of all that is holy STOP with the gaudy colors whites on solid colored background will not distract your visitors. That was soooo the 90s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogging style, I feel like you are have a fun conversation with me. You have accomplished this with a colorful aesthetic and conversational language format. I especially like your creative use of text with the statement that starts out "When you buy an expensive guitar". You "pulled me in" (as social media is pull marking rather than push marketing) by posting a picture of your Ford truck and talking personally about it when you were speaking about the Ford Website. This made your post more interesting. Again, I like your style :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that you use examples of well constructed websites from which you purchased products demonstrates their professional and successful application of design elements. I too own quite a few apple products and as such reviewed the apple website. I found that presentation is the first step in connecting with the consumer, you have to make the website inviting and attractive in order for the consumer to want to stay and even consider making a purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jennifer,

    I would have to agree with you overall on your blog. I have to admit that I lost you a bit for the first part of your blog talking about Amazon networks, but this section of your blog is all agreeable.

    I took a look at that arts center page and it's horrific. It looked like one of my first websites that I designed while learning how to code. I've never witnessed a published site that was that terrible and makes you want to shut down the browser automatically. I too, perform often at arts centers throughout and other venues within San Diego County. I would take a look at the one I'm often at in Escondido called California Center for the Arts. Their website is artscenter.org and offers a professional layout in comparison to the one you analyzed.

    ReplyDelete